Saturday, September 10, 2016

Misunderstanding God in our Struggles

If you listen to the comments of those who are struggling with their feelings about God, many times is found a mistaken notion that God behaves as we do. The hurt inflicted by a fickle world can morph into defining truth for us. This may be especially true in issues with parents. They play such an important role in shaping our hearts and minds it can leave deep scars if we have been hurt by them.

In my past, I struggled with seeing God as aloof and uncaring. I felt that if He cared at all it was only to use it against me to hate and crush me. If we look at this objectively, it is obviously opposite God’s character. I had no set formula of beliefs here; it was a reaction from deep within shaped by painful experiences. I had unfortunately learned it from how my father treated me. This emotional damage created pain for me, not only in the way I defined life, but in how I perceived God. I found myself struggling with relating in a healthy way.

The glorious reality is that God is nothing like us. His love is pure, His motives are for our care, and He is awesome in perfection. He is not only Holy; He went to amazing lengths to show us how much He loves us. Jesus is the utmost of God Himself, His gracious love gift for us. As we let go of what we have known and receive Him as children, we allow God to correct the lies we believe. The more we learn of His character in Scripture, we are healed deep within, and come to know the full joy of a life set wonderfully free.

By blaming God for our problems or allowing our view of Him to be shaped by our past, we cut off the true hope we need at the source. The human heart cannot rest without the restoring love of the God who created us. Peace and redemptive joy are possible at the foot of the Cross.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,” declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts". Isaiah 55:8-9.

I will proclaim the name of the Lord.
    Oh, praise the greatness of our God!
He is the Rock, His works are perfect,
    and all His ways are just.
A faithful God who does no wrong,
    upright and just is He.
Deuteronomy 32:4


Artwork: © Jeffrey M Green. "Shadows on the Moss", 8 x 10", pastels.

No comments:

Post a Comment